California Department of Education “Mentoring Frequently Asked Questions”


State Policies & Initiatives: 
Policies and Programs

• Q: Who issues work permits? • A: Work permits are required in California for any minor student who has not yet graduated and who would like to work. School districts and county offices of education designate their own work permit officials. • • Q: How much student information should an employer receive? A: Student information is confidential. Programs must have written permission from a parent or guardian or, if the student is eighteen years or older, from the student before discussing a student’s situation with employers. Employers should receive enough information that they can assist the student with his or her needs on the job.

  • Department of Education
  • School-to-Work Transition