Delaware SB 33
State Policies & Initiatives:Legislation
"This Act implements the legislative recommendations of the IEP Improvement Task Force created by the 147th General Assembly. The recommendations it implements are to:
- Provide more detailed and helpful information to parents about their rights and resources in the IEP process;
- Solicit the input of parents and children regarding the IEP process before IEP meetings occur;
- Provide advance notice to parents and children of documents that will be discussed at IEP meetings;
- Require the facilitation of parent councils to provide peer support for the parents of students with disabilities;
- Ensure that teachers, staff, and contract employees do not suffer retaliation for offering their candid opinions during the IEP process;
- Ensure that employment planning during the IEP process is consistent with Delaware’s employment first policy;
- Require a robust annual survey of parents and children to ensure that school districts and charter schools are adhering to state and federal law with respect to the IEP process.
- Ensure that charter schools are attentive to their responsibilities and available resources with respect to students with disabilities.
- Require that the Department of Education report to the General Assembly on the status of and possible alternatives to the IEP Plus computer system, which has been an impediment to the preparation of IEPs by teachers, staff, and contractors."
- Department of Education
- School-to-Work Transition