“The primary focus of this 5-year project is to build capacity across existing state services for sustainable systems change that improves outcomes for youth and young adults with DD/ID seeking competitive employment in integrated settings. The project will work together with critical stakeholders to develop policies, remove systemic barriers, implement strategies and best practices, and improve the transition process for Mississippi youth and young adults with DD/ID from school or training to competitive employment in integrated community settings.” This is a joint project with various organizations and agencies across the state.
MSPE Grantee Demonstration Projects:
- Customized Employment: Linking Job Seekers with Employers will target three sheltered workshops to begin the process of Customized Employment to link job seekers to community employers.
- Gathering Grounds will be a community-based business (coffee/art shop) teaching students transitional work skills in an inclusive, safe environment. Students will operate the coffee shop featuring original student artwork. The goal is to provide the extensive job skills training needed in the areas of employability and social skills to reach each student’s goal of competitive, paid employment.
- Building Opportunities for Learning and Transition Success (BOLTS) is intended to increase competitive employment outcomes and/or transition service for youth and young adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities who attend the Oxford School District. It will be accomplished through the development of on-campus work training opportunities, development of job/career videos or pod casts through digital media, development of a Preparing for Life Transition Planning Guide, providing transition training opportunities, expanding the current array of transition services, and providing hands-on training for future teachers."
State Policies & Initiatives:
- Department of Rehabilitation Services
- Department of Mental Health
- Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Department of Workforce Development
- Department of Education
- Customized Employment
- School-to-Work Transition
- Employer Engagement
- Cross-Agency Collaboration / Partnerships
Date Enacted: 10/01/2011