LME-MCO Communication Bulletin #J239
~~“Effective July 22, 2016, subminimum wage employment for youth (age 14-24) cannot be considered until the following documentation is available to the subminimum wage employer:
1. The individual must receive either Pre-Employment Transition Services (PETS) from Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) while qualifying as a student with a disability or transition services under Individuals with Disabilities Education Act from a school setting.
2. The individual must apply for VR services and:
a. The individual must be determined ineligible for VR services. An individual cannot be determined ineligible due to the severity of the disability without first engaging in a trial work plan. Social Security Income/Social Security Disability Income recipients must be presumed eligible if they intend to reach an employment outcome.
b. The individual must be determined eligible and after receiving services under an Individual Plan for Employment (IPE) for a reasonable period of time be unsuccessful in achieving competitive integrated employment. A reasonable period of time is defined as the anticipated time frame to receive services on the IPE. For supported employment, this may be 24 months with extensions if justified.
3. VR must provide career counseling and information about and referral to other resources available locally that offer employment-related services and supports designed to enable the individual to explore, discover, experience and attain competitive integrated employment.”
- Department of Mental Health
- Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities