Agencies- Transition Services Liaison Project

South Dakota

~~IDEA requires that in addition to parents, the student, and the school personnel, that other agency representatives participate in the transition process as needed.  A representative from any other agency that is likely to be responsible for providing or paying for transition services needs to be invited to the student’s IEP meeting.  Prior to inviting an outside agency, school personnel must receive written consent from the parents or the student who has reached the age of majority.

Outside agency representatives who could be invited to the IEP meeting may include:
•Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
•Services to the Blind and Visually Impaired
•Independent Living Center Staff
•Disability Coordinator from post-secondary education facilities
•Division of Developmental Disabilities •Division of Developmental Disabilities Resource Coordinator
•Community Support Provider
•Family Support 360 Coordinator

•Assistive Technology Representative
•Social Security Benefits Specialist
•Mental Health Professional
•Department of Labor & Regulation Representative
•Others that may be relevant to the student’s needs and preferences
•South Dakota Parent Connection

State Policies & Initiatives: 
  • Department of Education
  • School-to-Work Transition
Date Enacted: