Executive Order No. 47 - Expanding Opportunities for Virginians with Disabilities
Therefore, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor under Article V of the Constitution of Virginia and under the laws of the Commonwealth, including but not limited to § 2.2-103 of the Code of Virginia, I hereby direct the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to provide leadership and coordinate across Secretariats the following actions:
1. The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion shall work with the Secretary of Administration to implement § 2.2-203.2:3 of the Code of Virginia, to increase the employment of individuals within state government, including but not limited to the exploration and implementation of the following initiatives to: 3
a. Use available hiring authorities, consistent with statutes, regulations, and prior executive orders;
b. Increase efforts to accommodate individuals with disabilities within state government employment by increasing the retention and return to work of individuals with disabilities; and
c. Expand existing efforts for the recruitment, accommodation, retention, and advancement of individuals with disabilities for positions available in state government.
2. The Secretary of Education and Chief Workforce Advisor, in coordination with the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) shall identify opportunities and current best practices at institutions of higher education, community colleges, and vocational training programs to increase the number of Virginians with disabilities who are able to participate actively in advanced training and education programs they choose.
3. The Chief Workforce Advisor, in conjunction with the Secretaries of Commerce and Trade and Education, shall work with the Secretary of Health and Human Resources, who will direct DARS, and DBVI, and the Department for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to strengthen and develop workforce pipelines for individuals with disabilities and promote the hiring of qualified individuals with disabilities by new and existing Virginia businesses as well as companies seeking to locate to the Commonwealth.”
- School-to-Work Transition
- Home and Community Based Services (HCBS)
- Cross-Agency Collaboration / Partnerships
- Resource Leveraging
- Commonwealth of Virginia Office of the Governor