Secondary Transition: Consent for Inviting Participating Agency Representatives


State Policies & Initiatives: 
Policies and Programs

~~“Are school personnel required to obtain written consent from the parent to invite a participating agency representative to an IEP meeting before they invite the agency representative?

Yes, the local school division must acquire written consent from the parent (or a student who has reached the age of majority) for each agency that is invited to attend an IEP meeting to discuss the provision or payment of transition services. (34 CFR § 300.321(b)(3); corresponding Virginia Regulations at 8 VAC 20-81-170 E.1.h). The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) provides the rationale and context for this mandate”

  • Department of Education
  • School-to-Work Transition
Date Enacted: