D.C Employment First
State Policies & Initiatives:Systems-Change Funding
On October 8, 2012, DC Mayor Vincent Gray issued a proclamation declaring the District of Columbia an Employment First State…Under the Employment First philosophy, competitive, integrated employment is the first and overwhelmingly preferred option for working-age youth and adults with disabilities, regardless of the complexity or severity of their disabilities. The other main tenets of Employment First are that:
- Employment services are tailored and customized to a person’s needs, interests, and skill set with the ultimate goal of achieving long-term employment in a competitive business or organization, or self-employment.
- Employment is at the prevailing wage, and never less than minimum wage.
- The employee has ample opportunities to integrate and interact with his or her coworkers, the public, and/or customers without disabilities.
- Department of Rehabilitation Services
- Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Customized Employment
- 14(c)/Income Security